Thread: 47-55.1 V8 Swap
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #39
Grey beard

Re: V8 Swap

A lot of good comments posted regarding the engine/transmission mount designs. The mounting system I built for my 54 was patterned off what I built for my 36 Chevy pickup which has 80,000 + miles on it now and other than one LH rubber motor mount that delaminated I haven't had any other problem. The urethane mounts fixed problem. I had a 66 Chevy II with a 327 4 speed that destroyed the LH motor mount until GM came out with a steel cable that went from the frame to the LH exhaust manifold to limit the engine roll. My transmission crossmember end plates are made of T1 steel angle with the 1 ½” .250 wall tubing welded to both the vertical and horizontal parts of the end plates and bolted to the frame side member and the lower flange. I’m not able measure how far it is behind front cab mount currently, but here’s a couple of pictures. The 36 cab mounts are bolted through the frame flange and the 54 mount brackets extend away from the frame but the 54 floor structure is much stronger than the 36.

Last edited by Grey beard; 02-03-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Grey beard is offline   Reply With Quote