View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

Re: Wiring for Alternator, HEI, Lights, Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhap View Post
On the HEI, I think the idea is to use a relay to interrupt the Positive feed to the HEI instead of grounding the tachometer. On points ignitions, it's ok to ground the coil to kill engine momentarily so overdrive can disengage for the "kick-down". That's a much simpler way of saying what I was trying to say above. Yes, that is the idea.

Christian, do you know if the resistor wire is only on the engine side of the firewall connector? I'm thinking of installing a regular wire on the engine side to trigger my HEI relay. On my truck, yes, that was the case. I pried the connector off the resistor wire and reattached the connector to a new wire that I ran directly to the power terminal of the HEI. I did the HEI before I found the overdrive. I didn't have a proper HEI power and tach plug, so I just used an insulated crimp terminal. It worked well to swap over to the HEI relay when I added that in.
My responses in green

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote