Thread: 1971 GMC Donald
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2023, 09:35 PM   #14
mxerhale

Re: 1971 GMC Donald

About the same time as I got the brake system up and functioning, my search for a motor finally came to fruition and I found an all aluminum LC9 out of wrecked 2008 Suburban. Within a week of that I pressed the "buy now" button on a 1999 4L80E out of wrecked 3/4 ton Chevy truck and my plans were finally starting to come together!
I used Tinworks Fabrication motor mounts and transmission crossmember and they fit like a glove.

We ran -8 fuel lines from the universal Tanks Inc. fuel injection tank with a -6 return line and installed a Snake Eater Hellcat pump. Hopefully this is enough to keep up with the motor at 15 or so PSI. I used some cheapy chinese fuel rails and adjustable fuel regulator too finish off the supply side here.

The motor apparently was a mouse home during it's junkyard phase! I was pleasantly surprised with how clean both the motor and transmission were once I got inside them. We followed along with Matt on the Youtube Sloppy Mechanics channel and installed a Transgo shift kit in the 80E and then I got into the teardown of the 5.3. I pulled the pistons and gapped the rings to handle the boost and installed a Sloppy Mechanics Best cam. The piston tops needed some serious cleaning with all of the carbon buildup that I attribute to the crappy stock PCV system, the intake manifold was BATHED in oil too.
Attached Images

mxerhale is offline   Reply With Quote