View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #733
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

I picked up the three link kit while I was in TN for the Rod Run last weekend. Got to meet Rob and take a tour of the shop. Next step will be to assemble the sheetmetal so I can figure out the front wheel width and offset, and then from that I can figure out an axle width. I want to run a square setup with the same offset front and rear so I can rotate the tires. I'll try a 295/40-18 to start with but that may be too tall up front.

I'd rather have a little bit narrower tire for autocross, a ton of pro-touring builds are running 315 and 335 square and that's probably ok for managing tire temps when pushing hard lap after lap on a road course but no tire is going to have time to come up to temp on an autocross run. A narrower tire puts more pressure per square inch on the tread blocks, forcing the tire into the surface better. At least on the Festivas, we've seen better better cold tire lap times on narrower tires, so I want to try that idea for autocross. 295's will also weigh less than 315's or 335's, and unsprung/rotating weight is doubly important. I'm thinking about going with Wilwood's ProSpindles to cut down on unsprung weight up front.

Quick check of where the axle will roughly be... it's definitely going to need a step notch.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote