View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #67
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

Good news and bad news...

I built out the exhaust from the 2.5" ram horns - used Hedman reducers and a couple of 45 degree bends, and connected into the existing system. Filled the cooling system, ran it up to temp, bled the power steering (that was a mess). I have an oil pressure sender with both the gauge sender and a switch for a light...just had the light hooked up. Heard a lot of valve noise on one side after it had been running for a bit, it was getting oil but there was tons of lash, so I adjusted the valves, noise gone. Engine seemed to be running well, no bad noise, no leaks.

Took it out for a spin - what a night and day difference from the V6. The power steering was working, clutch felt good, no steam, no bad noises. Might even have a little baby cam in it. But once it was warm, the low oil light started coming on at idle...

Brought it home, hooked up the gauge, and it's showing really low pressure at idle when hot. As a bonus, I found coolant dripping down at the rear of the engine. I didn't look for a source...pretty much closed up the garage and spent the rest of the day with the family.

Thinking I'll buy a cheap mechanical gauge to confirm the oil pressure issue. Then try to hunt down the source of the leak. Don't want to pull the engine out again but it's looking likely.

At least the motor was cheap!

Update: cold oil pressure is 25psi at idle. I’m using 5w-30 synthetic.

Last edited by caseyjones; 01-29-2023 at 01:54 PM.
caseyjones is online now   Reply With Quote