View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 05:18 AM   #1432
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

Having decided to buy the Caddy Van from Zelandeth, the next point of interest was insurance………

That was a surprise as my rant evidenced.

Also ended up for some unexplained reason that management tossed a related thread in the whingebin, which is why people walk away from forums. Like it or not, despite any of the reasons maybe put forward for it. Anyway, it was a shock getting screwed by an insurer based on all their ducking and diving and reasons, none of which are actually applicable to me.

Strange that.

My rant, hopefully not to get censored.

INSURANCE COMPANIES……. RIP OFF ARTISTS.

JUST CANCELLED THE S10 INSURANCE, 2.5 MONTHS LEFT ON THE POLICY.

ZERO REFUND.

SWAPPED THE GRZ733 PLATE TO THE ASTRO.

£46.80 ADMIN FEE.

WHAT A BUNCH OF THIEVES.

GOT A QUOTE FOR A VEHICLE OFF THE SAME COMPANY RECENTLY £578.00 WITH 3K MILES, SINGLE DRIVER, PERSONAL USE ONLY.
REPEATED SAME QUOTE ONLINE £337 UP TO £1000
SELECTED TO BUY A £350.92 OPTION FROM CAROLE NASH - WENT TO CHECK OUT…… SYSTEM REJECTED PURCHASE.
CALLED CAROLE NASH DIRECT NEXT DAY TO CHECK.
NOPE…… PRICE NOT AVAILABLE, NEW PRICE NOW £372.00
I KINDA LOST IT, AND BY BEING REALLY NICE, INSISTED ON SPEAKING TO A SUPERVISOR, WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN, GOT THE ORIGINAL PRICE 20 MINUTES LATER.
IT IS CRAZY HOW THEY DIP THEIR HANDS INTO OUR POCKETS AND STEAL BECAUSE IT IS ALL LEGISLATED THAT YOU WILL HAVE INSURANCE.
AND OF COURSE ALL THE WRIGGLING TO NOT PAY WHEN YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT/DAMAGE/BREAK IN.

THIS REALY IS TIRING.

WATCH YOUR POCKETS.

So the plan, after seeing the car on Saturday on the way back from Scotland, was to take a train on Monday to collect, but having to sit for an extended period trying to deal with the insurance company would mean a late departure…… so I decided to leave on Tuesday instead.
Just as well, because the roads were murder on Monday.

So up early, Mickey next door earned his £10.00 pint money taking me down to the station at Strood, Kent.

Tickets bought. Add this to the purchase price, as well as Dartford Toll crossing and Mickey’s taxi fare.

Strood station wait.

Then I minded many gaps, switching and using 4 trains on my way up to Milton Keynes.

First train change at Gravesend, broken public toilets and a 20 minute wait for the next train, used the ladies toilets as I identified as a guy needing to pee.

Through to London, over the Thames river.

And into Charing Cross or Charing-X station for the next change.

Then onto the underground and up for air at Euston tube and overground station.

Once I surfaced at Euston overground station, I got onto the Avanti train service.

Interesting to note the price of my connection ticket, online the same item was £8.00 but restricted to possibly one train only. Dickheads.

The intercom on Avanti also warns you, reasonably clearly, that if you are caught on a different class carriage to what your ticket permits it will be another £222.00 fine/ticket.

Very tidy trains, much much better than the stock I am used to travelling on on my routes.

You kinda don’t mind paying the exorbitant fees for quality like that.

Uneventful, 30 minute trip, both comfortable, and without the usual riffraff that often polite South Eastern and whatever the other service is that I am reliant on.

Coming out of the station at Milton Keynes Central station, I had to walk as far as Subway sandwich shop and find my ride.

What a great surprise.

Sublime.

And the interior……… Pure 60’s Britain.

What a lovely place to be.

And just for fun, a two minute inside video.

https://youtu.be/Qgg_Es9G-74?si=qYZs-wd2Wjb5r4ms

Getting to @Zelandeth ‘s home, we did the usual ritual dance of buying old cars.

Time to pay……

Hmmmm…. Transaction rejected in various ways. Barclays Bank proving why Cash is King.

System down, which meant jumping into the Caddy replacement, a Peugeot Partner van, slightly newer, but with the same familiarity as my old Prozac Berlingo.
So we headed back into the town centre to the actual bank branch, only to have the transactions declined repeatedly to the embarrassment of the staff member helping us navigate their future of banking machines.
Ultimately, thankfully, I managed to withdraw a pile of cash and hand it over to Zel.
Thanks for your patience mate.
We headed home to see me off to the motorway and going South on M1 and M25, followed my A2/M2 till I got to the Medway area.

Leaving and mileage as purchased.

Then went via Halfords to buy some VW Reflex silver paint for repairs already in mind.

Then home, and a big grin all the way.

This little van really was proving to be way more than the sum of its parts within the first 100 miles of driving in town and on the motorway.

Got home and parked up behind the outgoing company car.

Happy.

Door to door first trip 104 miles, so just over 160km

Then indoors, pee, coffee, gloat, walk around, gloat, smile.

And then the big decision, like buying your kid his/her/its first beer/cocktail.

The Caddy got its own front door key.

Not only that, a key ring.

Found in the gutter outside the house.

Honestly.

Later I went over to Sallys for dinner as she cooked.

100% gutted that she took no notice and was not interested in the new little lifesaver.

Well, she does not care for cars, does she?

Went home and to bed later with that stupid grin we have when buying a new to us, car.

Little did I know there was pain ahead.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote