View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #686
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad to see she's back on her wheels!
You and me both, Chip. Spent all day yesterday cleaning bugs and road grime off the top and underneath. I may need to be a bit more careful about the weather forecast in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Looking good, I hope this cures most of the bugs.
Thanks, Dale. They're getting sorted slowly but surely. I went for a test drive this afternoon and let it sit and idle for a long time. Never got over 195. But then again, the outside temperature is 85 instead of 95 like we experienced on the trip. I need to make a longer run to build more heat into the engine to know for sure. I have a sneaking suspicion I still may be revising the puller fans over the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Breather inside a breather.....pretty slick
Thanks, Greg. The instructions for the Moroso breather setups say to plumb the clean air side into the intake tube in front of the throttle blade, so the "old school" equivalent for me would be the location I picked. We'll see how well it works after I put a few hundred miles on it next week. If the breather stays dry and the catch can doesn't trap too much oil, I'll take that as a good sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
The VHT application process is similar but I've never had the patience to do it! The headers on the Dirty Girl look ok on the top sides but exactly how you'd expect on the bottom. I want to do better than that on the C10. Thanks for the details! That process will be coming soon.
Glad to help, John. I followed the procedure suggested by the guys at HRE and let the engine warm up until I saw a little smoke coming off the manifolds and then shut it down and let it cool off. There was very little smoke but I repeated the process twice more and then went for a drive. Manifolds look the same as when I installed them. I'll know more after some road trips, but right now it would appear to be a good solution.

The exhaust note is radically different than before with the new manifolds and H-pipe. I can still hear the exhaust but it sounds like it's coming from the very back of the car instead of right under me. May actually be able to listen to some tunes going down the road.

The change in the spring height also made a difference. Ride is a bit more harsh, but it didn't seem to bottom out going over bumps. The true test will be crossing bridges at highway speed.

I still have a few items left on my punch list, but if the weather cooperates, we may hit a cruise in or two this weekend.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote