View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
Dead Parrot

Re: Towing questions

Check what equipment that truck has installed. Then check Ford forums to see if there is a simple way to activate a brake controller.

On my 2009 Escape, when I got a hitch installed by U-haul, they installed a trailer light controller since you can't simply connect extra lights to the wiring. It lasted a year or so. After two replacements also failed, I was investigating how to make a do it yourself version when I tripped over an interesting forum post. Seems my Escape already had the circuitry needed for trailer lights. I just needed to buy and install 2 relays in the relay box over the front driver's side wheel and connect a flat 4 trailer plug to an already installed connector for just that purpose. Cost of 2 relays and the connector was about $20, about a 1/4 the price of the aftermarket controller boxes. And they are still working several years later.

Bottom line is setting that truck up for towing a trailer with electric brakes may be fairly simple. Do some research before buying parts.

IIRC - A lot of two inch receiver hitches are 5000lb tow/500lb tongue weight even though Class 3 are normally 8000lb/800lb tongue. May have to include a new hitch in your proposal.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote