View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
Overdriven

Re: Towing questions

Thanks for the input everyone. To address some things mentioned, truck is well maintained, just had rear brakes and shocks done, 5.4 not 4.6, extended cab, 6.5 bed, with just over 100k I think. Truck will be at our shop tomorrow and I’ll be able to check on the hitch, brake controller and see if it has max tow option. We might get a different truck in the coming months for towing this trailer but the f150 is what we have on hand now. Won’t be hauling all the time but will be hauling long distance 1/2 dozen times a year to events. Trailer will be new custom built without the normal drop down rear, totally flat front to rear. Weight in the trailer won’t change. Three darn heavy air compressors will be bolted down and stay there for display at trade show booths. With around 1400lbs of extra capacity according to the gvrw of the trailer I think I’m ok there.

As I said tongue weight was a particular concern of mine. I put tongue weight at 800-1000lbs. Unfortunately I can’t do much to shift the weight and reduce tongue weight without going longer on the trailer which then won’t fit in smaller booths at shows and may adversely effect handling.