View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #14
burnin oil

Re: Towing questions

Hitch wieght can be effected by axle placement or the physical loading of the deck. It's possible to fudge everything a little to get a better distribution. The catch is getting the tongue wieght to light or heavy can be nerve racking to down right unsafe. With a 1000 pound hitch wieght you should be safe though. Also pay attention with setup that you don't accidentally overload one axle. It can be done. My dual tandem tends to load the rear axle more due to hitching hieght.

When I towed my 57 GMC 1 ton home I had it all the way forward on the equipment trailer to fit. Distribution was off and she swayed starting at 45 MPH. Long slow drive in a 5500 that has over 4 tons of bed capacity at its disposal. Even with a light dump setup on the GMC it threw the distribution out of wack. Luckily it was late and on smaller roads so I could go butt slow. I also have alot of trailering experience but with the right equipment sometimes loads just don't cooperate. That extra truck will save your bacon. The 5500 is as long as the equipment trailer and weighed literally as much as the loaded trailer. Good luck.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote