View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #80
RichardJ

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

>>I checked the clearance for the push rod from the booster to the MC, and it moves immediately when pedal input is applied, and moves smoothly.<<

That doesn't tell you anything about the correct booster pin length.

>>For S&G I adjusted the pushrod WAY out to preload the brakes, see if I could even stop the trucks rear end while in the air, it took 5+ pedal pumps to stop it, but once stopped it did not allow the wheels to free spin in gear again, as if they were locked on. <<

Adjusting the pedal rod longer just makes a problem with incorrect booster rod worse.

MC pistons must be able to return to seated position so that ports are opened to allow fluid to return to reservoir when pedal is released.

Adjust pedal rod for freeplay.
Adjust booster rod with actual measurements. If you don't have the measuring tool you must be able to move the MC far enough to take measurements.
A - B = C, which is what the tool does.
After "C" is determined, reduce pin height ( C ) by 1/32 to 1/16".

I set the clearance at 1/32 on a new booster for my Vette. After a couple months, I noticed at stop lights with slight grade, the vehicle would no longer roll with brake off. (manual trans) The seats inside the booster had settled with age and spring pressure. The pin had extended past my original setting and was holding the MC slightly engaged. I won't set one that close again.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardJ; 04-19-2024 at 12:18 PM.
RichardJ is online now   Reply With Quote