View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #28
short&wide65

Re: How low can you go ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You can disagree but tweaks made to the original 63-87 C10 geometry can change things completely; it just depends on one's definition of 'tweaks'.

There is nothing 'wrong' w/the stock set-up. It's not ideal vs. what's offered under current performance cars/trucks but neither are the aftermarket x-member kits being sold to achieve aggressive drop heights. R&P steering set-ups are an improvement over the original equipment steering box/set-up but only when everything is set-up & dialed in w/o compromise. Otherwise, it's just R&P steering that's easier to adapt to the raised x-member arrangement. A new perf spec steering box would also make a big difference in steering function.

If you're building something for autocross, using a Porterbuilt, GSI, Choppin Block, or Thorbeck Bro's raised x-member style set-up seems like a poor choice vs other more specific options. The aftermarket x-member kits do have updated geometry but again the OG stuff can be tweaked to rival the those offerings.

Autocross would benefit from a No Limit Engineering, Detroit Speed, SpeedTech, Scott's, or something from Roadster Shop (or maybe one of the very recently released to market QA-1 set-ups). These would be more aligned w/purpose built driving w/a nod toward autocross ambitions. They're also an even bigger investment vs. the aftermarket raised x-members.

So.... My question would be what do you consider to be 'just tweaks'?
I wasn't thinking about the raised crossmember setups and was thinking performance not "how low can you go" so I agree with you that Z-ing the frame is probably the best option. Never once have I thought about laying frame in my truck so I wasn't looking at the OP's problem correctly.

I was only thinking of No Limit's front crossmember since that is what I am going with. Of course I know there is an argument to be made that if I were truly serious about autocross I'd be looking at a full chassis instead.

But I have a full prep SCCA STR 2019 MX-5 and even with a full chassis, I'm not going faster at autocross in the 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Applicable information is still information.

My input was on highlighting the issue of clearances once one is curious about 'aggressive' lowering aka asking "how low can you go". Seemed related.
Agreed. Always learning and discussing is what improves someone's knowledge.