View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #32
SCOTI

Re: How low can you go ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by short&wide65 View Post
Geometry does matter and a correctly damped suspension with stiff springs and sticky tires is faster so therefore does make something "handle good" Period. I am solely basing this on the stopwatch.

Obviously, this is assumed. So the discussion is all things being equal.
I'm not assuming anything when I don't know who's using this info so the 'driver mod' mention is valid & useful.

But this is all off the original topic of how much lower @kens65fb can possibly go. My original concern was making sure he's aware of the pitfalls that extra inch or so of drop can yield.

Driving a truck that bottoms out a lot wears on you (& the truck/parts). I loved the ride height on my '74 but the constant bottoming out made driving any area where the roads weren't smooth a PITA thus much less enjoyable. Getting them lower than a 4/6 introduces those concerns. A 5/7 is do-able w/the right combo but will likely bottom out here & there. Again.... I was merely trying to promote awareness.

For reference, my CC dually is just as low as my '74 was but has adequate clearance. The 1.5" raised front x-member keeps it far enough away from the ground it's never bottomed out once it hit the roads 'post-mods'. Same for the rear of it.... It's never made contact w/the bumpstops or floor. The only thing that has made contact is the frame rails @ the center of the truck on funky angled entry/exit transitions of some parking lots. I have air so I could technically raise it but it's a coin flip on if it will/won't make contact so it isn't a common issue.

Everything I have is lowered & I won't build another aggressively lowered truck w/o necessary clearance. It's night & day difference IMO when it comes to a worry free driving experience.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-25-2022 at 02:58 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote