View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #73
Beach-Burban

Re: The more I learn...the more puzzled I become!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Hey Woody, sorry about the rear springs...I didn't realize you had a 45 gallon tank as well. Definitely going to want those HD springs back there....at roughly 6.5 lbs/gallon, thats almost 300 lbs in fuel alone. Add the third seat and any occupants...

Anyway, full disclosure, I paid a shop to do my rear springs and trailing arms as well. My issue was (well, besides laziness) that my jack stands were maxed out and BARELY gave me enough room to droop the axel to the point where tension was off the springs. After messing with the arrangement for an hour, and needing to use a breaker bar on every bolt, I decided to throw in the towel, and took it to a local off-road shop that had a decent reputation. They had the truck for way longer than they should have, and someone syphoned my entire gas tank clean, but at least the work was done correctly, and they didn't charge much.
No worries Greg...you suggested the HD springs right off the bat...I just didn't listen...and in addition to the fuel weight, the tank itself weighs over 100 pounds!

My buddy got all my stuff done by the end of the next day (including welding a crack in one of the rear spring "cup" retainers)...and I didn't lose any gas! Let's see: 45 gallons X $2.85 a gallon (CA prices ) = $128......but I did pay him well!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote