View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #599
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

The MSD LS series ignition control arrived today. Got busy installing it and right away ran into a problem. The harness they supply that reads the crank and cam positions has a plug that's supposed to go directly into the cam sensor. The problem with this is that the actual cam sensor is positioned in a totally inaccessible spot behind the FEAD and below the water pump. GM ran a pigtail with a steel shield from the sensor to an accessible spot down near the harmonic balancer. But apparently, MSD in their infinite wisdom decided not to use that plug. You can buy the correct plug (shown on the right in the photo below) so I'm at a loss as to why they would make it so difficult on the end user. I spent a half hour on hold with Holley trying to confirm it would be acceptable to splice the correct plug onto their harness before finally giving up. Will try later tonight when maybe they aren't so busy.

The way things are going, I'm fairly sure they'll tell me splicing in the correct plug will void the warranty and possibly lead to the apocalypse. Regardless, I already have the correct plug on the way.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote