Thread: 55.2-59 Rear axle moving left/right
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 05:17 AM   #23
Iceman_70

Re: Rear axle moving left/right

Thanks for all the great feedback !!

Yeah, the rear end is toast or like we say in Belgium 'choco'. When I removed the axle, the bearings fell apart and the tubes have a lot of mush ...

I just reached out to a professional welder, who also restores oldtimers, to see if he has more info on what is allowed or not... or why they disapprove welding on an axle.

just to clarify the process a little more, the inspector in the local branch checks the vehicle and makes a report/pictures of the modifications. This is being send to a commision of the 'Mobility Department' (part of the Flemish Governement). They then review and judge what is 'safe' or not ...
For example, the IFS/power steering rack/disc brakes/brake booster is accepted if I can show "a certificate from the manufacturer of these parts that shows that these parts are suitable for this type of vehicle"

I also need to go to the official Chevrolet importer in Belgium, to have the VIN corrected on the frame ... as the VIN on the title starts with '3K' and the one on the frame isn't ...
Now, I do understand it all has to be safe for myself and others drivers on the road, but at the same time, they should be happy that I spend all the time and money on restoring one of these classics...

Again thx for the feedback and info. The knowledge and experience that is gathered on this board is huge !!
Iceman_70 is offline   Reply With Quote