View Single Post
Old 11-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #20
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Good thing you're talented, those frame rails look a little rusty, got to the party late on your last 2 builds, wanted to get in early on this one

Hope the stripper gives you something back to work with
Thanks for posting up
You and me both. It's rusted in an odd way - almost like it sat in tall wet grass which attacked the underside but without ruining the floor pans and the body. Looks like someone decided to shoot a heavy layer of undercoat to try to halt the process. All of that will be gone when it returns, so we'll know the rest of the story then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
My rear frame rails looked about the same, maybe worse. I made new frame rails to replace the last 20" or so on each side. The panel below the tail light panel that the trunk floor is spot welded to was also rusted out. I couldn't find a replacement so I had a shop here in town bend up a new one. It's kinda sucks going from Chevy trucks and mustangs where you can build one out of a catalog to cars that hardly have any aftermarket support.
Amen to that. I found the replacement rear subframe pieces, but I know I'm in for a hammer welding party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
We have a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0/6 speed combo vert. It's a great car and I'm a big time LS guy.
No big mods to the car except the exhaust. The stock GT mufflers were so quiet. Locally there was a guy modding a GT 500 and sold me his stock mufflers. What a difference. Good sound but zero drone.
That 5.0 sounds great as it gets near its 7K redline.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks!!

I finished the body cart so the car could be transported to Pro-Strip Indy. It left here a few days ago and should return around the 22nd of this month stripped all the way down to bare metal everywhere and minus the tin worm. Then the serious work starts. Probably over 75% of the rot has no commercially available replacement panels.

While the car is out of the shop, I took the opportunity to strip the Coyote of the factory harness and lines. I also removed the shifter as I plan to install a direct fit shifter from FormaCars. That will move the shifter forward about 12 inches and make it more accessible not to mention a big improvement in shift performance. From what I've read, the main gripe about the MT82 tranny in the Mustang GT is that the shifter feels like mush and is unreliable. Mostly I've been searching the interweb for any kind of info on the technical details of the engine and trans. I downloaded a service manual for a 2017 Mustang GT in .pdf format. It has around 9500 pages. Whew! I haven't found an index and it appears to have very few part numbers. It does have some nice detail drawings though.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote