View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #25
SCOTI

Re: How low can you go ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by short&wide65 View Post
It would still be just tweaks that make it slightly better than stock so I disagree that it would change things completely.

I should add that I'm setting my truck up for autocross use so handling is paramount to me.
You can disagree but tweaks made to the original 63-87 C10 geometry can change things completely; it just depends on one's definition of 'tweaks'.

There is nothing 'wrong' w/the stock set-up. It's not ideal vs. what's offered under current performance cars/trucks but neither are the aftermarket x-member kits being sold to achieve aggressive drop heights. R&P steering set-ups are an improvement over the original equipment steering box/set-up but only when everything is set-up & dialed in w/o compromise. Otherwise, it's just R&P steering that's easier to adapt to the raised x-member arrangement. A new perf spec steering box would also make a big difference in steering function.

If you're building something for autocross, using a Porterbuilt, GSI, Choppin Block, or Thorbeck Bro's raised x-member style set-up seems like a poor choice vs other more specific options. The aftermarket x-member kits do have updated geometry but again the OG stuff can be tweaked to rival the those offerings.

Autocross would benefit from a No Limit Engineering, Detroit Speed, SpeedTech, Scott's, or something from Roadster Shop (or maybe one of the very recently released to market QA-1 set-ups). These would be more aligned w/purpose built driving w/a nod toward autocross ambitions. They're also an even bigger investment vs. the aftermarket raised x-members.

So.... My question would be what do you consider to be 'just tweaks'?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote