View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #58
special-K
Special Order

Re: Heavy Machines powered by GM diesels or Detroits

I never knew the sound of one diesel from another in my younger days. But, there was always that distinct sound I eventually learned could only be a 2-stroke Detroit. It seemed most fire engines and about all cranes had that sound. I also will never forget that sound of site work being done in the distance and hearing those pans rocking supercharged Detroits. In elementary school my best friend's dad was an excavating contractor. I remember going out to development sights on Saturday mornings with him. More than once we'd arrive to find the 6-71 blower stolen off a pan. His dad said they were bolting them on Mopars. This was in the '60s, the height of drag racing...IMO. Oh yeah, can't forget the sound of a Detroit powered boat. How about twin Detroits? Now that's some harmony there!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote