View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #122
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

I made a little bit more progress this week. The steering column I am using came out of an 89 Chevy van. I've used this one before on previous projects and liked it because the ignition switch wiper switch dimmer switch are all built into the column like most GM's. But the van columns also have a shift indicator built on to them if you're using the column shift. That part is kind of nice. I picked this one up for 35 bucks At a you pull it yard. It was pretty dirty and the Tilt mechanism was floppy like most of the old GM's columns were. It was a little slow last week so I took it in to work and just use it for fill in work in between actual paying jobs. Other than my time, I have a grand total of $70 in the column with the cost of the column, a new ignition lock cylinder, and a new turn signal cam. I never knew it before this one but there's a small light bulb in behind the shift indicator that actually works. Nice little touch. I also took the time on this one to cut the flange loose on the bottom of the column. From the factory they just bolt up to the firewall in the van. I'm going to leave this one loose for now and either weld it on at a different angle or cut it off all together and start over. Just depends on how it fits in the pickup.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote