View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #65
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

I got the rest of the boards primed. I'll mock up the strips to mark where to drill the perimeter bolts and the where to cut the fenderwell openings. I also figured out a way to use the four outer short boards I've got. Dad had some leftover wood from one of his projects that's the same thickness as the groove's depth so I used exterior wood glue to bond them in the unneeded groove. I'm hoping the seam will be hidden by the bed lip but if it isn't I can use some wood filler and sand it smooth before I prime and paint them.

I'll be buying the rear bags for it in the next couple weeks; pretty much decided to use Airlift D2600 bags on it. They're rated at 600 psi so I'll be able to add more air and actually use it as a truck if I want to haul or tow something. That was my biggest problem with 5" or jeep springs, everybody says they're soft and won't carry any extra load.

Thinking hard about staying home from one of the bigger VW shows in the southeast this weekend to work on getting the C notches and frame braces in place... the VW club guys are gunna think I've lost my mind but I'm getting tired of the extremely low quality of most VW parts and the general cheapskate mentality of the VW enthusiast that's killed the hobby for guys that are willing to pay for good quality parts. Even at the bigger shows, there's usually only about 10 cars that are really done well. The rest are thrown together as cheap as possible, and aren't worth spending my time to go look at them. The biggest reason I've been going is for the swaps to find good original VW parts. I might go and wait til I have the bags to do the whole rear end at once though...

Last edited by theastronaut; 12-07-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fix dead pic links
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote