View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 08:48 AM   #1
Chaparralman1974

NOS Rockwell T-221 Transfer Case

Good morning everyone!

A few weeks ago I was able to score a NOS Rockwell T221-N5 transfer case. The guy that I bought it from acquired it in the early 90's as part of a warehouse sale of old GM parts. Apparently, it had sat in an open air warehouse since the early 70's.

This case is slightly different than the one in my 1967 K20. Mainly because the vent on the outer cover seems to be in a different location. Other than that, it is identical.

The case has surface rust on it, but the original cardboard protectors for the output shaft splines is still intact. Additionally, it has all of the bearing covers on it to keep it sealed up.

There was no oil in it, nor were there any linkage compents attached. It would seem that in the event that the case needed to be replaced, the yokes, and all linkage from the original setup would be transferred to the new one.

I popped open the case to see what was inside and it was spotless! You can still see the machine marks on the teeth. A few years back, I know there were some threads regarding slop in the idler gears. The questions were around the amount of slop that was supposed to be there. I can say definitively that in this case, there is ZERO slop in the idler gears and shaft.

I am going to keep this case as a spare in the event that mine ever gives up, but I thought that I would post this along with some pictures for anyone who is curious. I would be happy to take any additional pictures if anyone wants. This thing is kinda like a time capsule! :-)

Clay
Attached Images

Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote