View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 01:32 AM   #33
theastronaut

Re: Winter Beater Build 2.0- '66 Short/Fleet BBW

Since the front wheels didn't work out I found a pair of 1.5" spacers on sale to use with the stock front wheels. They were hubcentric for a Toyota so I chucked them in the lathe and trimmed off the snout to clear the stock wheels' smaller hub bore.

In the rear I relocated the shocks using Frizzle Fry's method and added CPP 1.5" drop blocks. Had to clearance an edge of the rear washer since the new U-bolt hole is closer to the folded edge. I'll drill and mount the upper shock studs once I settle on the rear ride height.

I had bags and cups leftover from the rear of Goldilocks (the No Limit three link kit replaced the original bag setup I bought) so I bought fittings and mocked them up to see how much room the fittings took up. I still need to cut the cups down by 1/2" and run air lines back to schrader valves. I'll post more pics of the cups/fittings once I pull them back out.

The heater box was pulled to clean out the internals and replace the heater core and fan motor, along with removing the under dash diverter box to clean it.

Almost everything is buttoned up under the hood- all new tune up parts, all new cooling system, new alternator, cables, and a newer battery that came with the truck. I still need to figure out and build linkage to adapt the stock throttle pivot to the new carb, change the oil/filter, and replace the valve and pushrod cover gaskets before its ready to start up for the first time.

With the suspension mostly done I had to drop it down to see how it would sit. There are still a ton of small details to button up but I'm pretty happy to make this much progress this quickly. My goal for this week is to get the brakes bled, engine fired up, paint scanned/mixed for the wheels, wheels blasted/primed/painted, all lights working, and the seat and floor mat put back in. If that goes well I'll get a set of new tires mounted and an alignment done early next week so I can start putting miles on it.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote