View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 11:54 PM   #37
theastronaut

Re: Winter Beater Build 2.0- '66 Short/Fleet BBW

One of the old 8" reversed wheels I had ended up being pitted too badly to use so I used the center and rim I had mocked up on the front to replace it. I had blasted both pieces which left a bit of a rough surface. When I tried to press the center back in it locked down and wouldn't budge, the metal had galled and was making deep tears in the surface. Had to press it out and grind those spots down, then smooth the surface with 100 grit on a grinder, then oil both parts to get the center to go in smoothly.

Checking runout after pressing the center in. I matched the backspacing of the other old 8" wheel, 3 7/16". I was able to get it straight to within .020".

Welded in.

The truck was running super lean so I chucked the metering rod in the lathe and thinned down the idle/low speed step from .083" to 075" and filed the correct length taper in the transition area. It runs a little better, but still not great. I'll try raising the needle height about .010" at a time tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

My sister and brother in law came over to help out, she worked on cleaning up the hub caps and he clearanced the trailing arms for the relocated shocks, filled the diff, and trimmed the rear bump stops.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote