View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 06:43 PM   #37
landarts
landarts

Re: Super Cheyenne aka the "Devil Cowboy"

After getting the front side stripped down I flip the drinker side door over to evaluate the rust repair and any needed bodywork. Along the bottom of the door toward the front, I identified where the rust ended and started cutting away the bad. Then I pulled out the stud gun and started pulling a few dings big enough to warrant the studs and Steck Lever pulling tool. In short order, I felt that I got most of the dents pulled out enough to work the rest of them with some filler. In the second picture below you will see a circle of stud pins on the door. That area was low and was oil canning so I pulled it up then put a few around the outside to help tighten up the metal and finally got it to stop oil canning. It was still a little low so I added some filler to get it back where it needs to be.

I then cleaned up the area to start cutting some sheet metal for the filler repair on the bottom corner. I did this with two pieces, one to cover the top and another to cover the bottom curve. That allowed me to spot-weld the seam together and give me a little more metal to form the rounded surface there.

Pic 1 - Area where rust was present
Pic 2 - Pulling a few dents with the stud gun and Steck Lever
Pic 3 - Welding and grinding to get ready for filler
Pic 4 - Some of the filler work to wrap up the bottom of the door
Pic 5 - The Electric DA I was using and the 3M Xtract mesh sandpaper
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote