View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #69
CSoliz
Torn between 66 and 78

Re: 65Custom Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
Thanks I need all the support I can get, but there are many more on this site that deserve it more than I do.

For the spot welds there are about 50 or so spot welds per air box and then about 100 for the panel between the air boxes. Also remember that these were spot welded by hand and not computers so some times you may or may not find welds where they should be located

There are several ways to locate where the spot welds are located, none of them are better than the other it is just what works for you and your cab.

feel for the dimples, lightly sand or grind the pinch weld area and locate the low spots those are the spot welds, also visual inspection and and you will start to recognize where they are located. I also found that where you can placing you finger on the back side can also help locate the welds.

Tools that I recommend are a spot weld cutter and a steck tool

The spot weld cutter will be your best friend . It is double sided and has an adjustable center point for tension. To use it adjust the tension on the center point, then using a center punch, punch the approximate center of the spot weld and then place the center of the cutter in the punch mark. Then start using the cutter very slowly, this keeps you from cutting too deep and also dulling the cutter too quickly, cut for a few seconds and the remove the cutter to view the progress after some time you will get the feel of it and can do several pretty quickly it goes faster than you think it will.

one thing to note that sometimes when cutting through the first layer of metal you will notice a small puff of rust colored dust that is an indication that you have gone through the top layer of metal and it is time to stop cutting. Again go slow and take your time

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95343

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/stec...5-p-11711.aspx

one more thing to note sometimes what appears to be the center of a spot weld may not be where the metal is actually welded together, I found that sometimes the metal was actually welded off of the center of the dimple (I think this has to do with how a spot welder works) so this you won't know till you start trying to get the parts off don't worry just take your time and they will come off.

Thanks
That's great. Thank you for taking the time.
CSoliz is offline   Reply With Quote