View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 01:50 AM   #15
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
there is a pressure feed to the nozzle that oils cam gear, it passes through the front plate/engine mount and is a common source of leaks between the plate and block
I've been scratching my head for several days culminating in today trying to find the source of the leak. Here is my dilemma that your post seems to address.

The front of the timing cover is dry (no obvious oil leaks). When I had the crank pulley/harmonic balancer off, the crank seal was moist but not a source of the leak and I think I would have seen a track of oil down the timing cover from that seal. So the front of the engine looks clean.

From under the car, the oil pan gasket is solid and show no leaks or weeping anywhere along its circumference.

The oil drip is coming from the center mounted engine mount, just below the front of the oil pan, yet the RTV that was generously applied to the front edge of the oil pan also is dry. I have touched paper towels to it and get no oil residue.

The leak seems to be coming from somewhere between the front face of the block and the back edge of the block where the front/center motor mount is (see my photo in a post above). Could this be where the nozzle that you mention passes through? How do I check that, let alone get to where it is located? Thank you for the idea.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."

Last edited by TX3100Guy; 12-17-2023 at 02:14 PM.
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote