View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #21
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Lots of good thoughts in all the posts above. I'll tell you what I know at this point. When running the engine yesterday (all while it was leaking) I removed the rubber hose that connects the Deve PCV kit that I installed where it connects to my intake manifold. Of course I had to plug the manifold port due to vacuum loss (and at idle and about 2000 RPM, the vacuum was substantial). With my thumb over the stainless steel tube from the PCV there wasn't a very noticeable amount of pressure. Given the vacuum at the manifold, I suspect there is a very good flow from the PCV to the manifold via suction rather than actual PCV induced pressure.

The supercharger runs in two modes, low idle and then there is a kick down switch at about 75% throttle that engages an electric clutch on the pulley to provide significantly more boost. At this point, I've rarely had the supercharger into high boost mode, all the leaking is occurring at idle or somewhat faster RPM, but not at high boost.

Lee's photo is very similar to my engine's timing cover (the shape of the cover is the same) and I do have the plate he is referencing and at least from what I can see up front, there is no leak, but it is directly behind that plate towards the middle of the engine that the oil seems to be coming from.

As for the pulley/balancer, I didn't pound it back on, I used a pulley/harmonic balancer installation tool along with my impact wrench to slowly drive the pulley onto the crankshaft. The timing cover and its seal went untouched and both are new in the past year as I was rebuilding much of this truck.

The wife and went to a Christmas party last night, that combined with my depression at having such a leak yesterday, I've decide to not work on the truck today while I summon up the energy and courage to get back out there tomorrow. My plan is to use my bore scope to probe around the places I can't see well (an idea friend at the party gave me), install some of the oil dye (on Tuesday when it arrives) run for a short while to circulate the oil and build up any pressure necessary to start the leaking, then jack up the engine an inch or so, and then use the bore scope and black light to search for the source of the leaking.

@leegreen I suspect that the fix, if it is that nozzle behind the timing cover, will require that I re-disassemble the front part of the truck to get to the timing cover, removed the timing cover and see if the nozzle passing though the plate attached to the block needs fixed/replaced. Is that the idea?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote