Thread: 55.2-59 WTB: 3600 Steering Arm
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 03:23 PM   #3
Hcb3200

Re: WTB: 3600 Steering Arm

Mikey I have a 1956 chevy that had stock for years and still does other than power steering added.
They do not make the steering arms but I doubt that is your issue. unless its bent.

If you are running all stock then look for play at tie rod ends. you can take out that slack by adjusting the end after you take out cotter pin.
That solved a lot of mine.
Second make sure your spring shackles are in good shape. One of mine had some play and spring was moving more than it should. get new ones if well worn.

If you are running stock tires make sure your alignment is up to shape. also adding more caster may help.

check for any play in steering spindles as well as in the tire bearings.

Then move to your steering wheel shaft and pitman arm. check for any play there. you can adjust the steering box to take it out if you do.

Once all these were tightened up i felt comfortable up to 75/80 on smooth road. rough pothole roads don't care how much you do on a straight axle you really just have to take it in stride and guess which way its going to go.

as to aftermarket you can upgrade your tie rod and tie rod ends but unless the play is in the ball joint its not going to make much difference.

all my little play here and there sure added up.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote