View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 09:59 AM   #15
CDA 455
MidlifeCrisisUnderWay

Re: Long distance traveling in a '67-'72 suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
To the OP: In your initial post, you're saying that you would like to buy a restored Suburban. I would recommend reading through HO455's build thread since he bought a Suburban that someone else had gone through... and he needed to fix and rework a lot of it. It would give you a very good starting place for a list of things to check. There are probably other good build threads on here, and obviously LockDoc has a handle on putting together a nice one. It's always good when people ask questions, but for my own learning, I pull lots of good information from people's first-hand experience on their build threads. Vendors to use, materials to use, methods, etc. You've been a member a lot longer than I have here, so maybe my post is all old news. But recalling HO455's experience with an "already done" Suburban made me think about writing this.
You bring up an important/concerning point:
I don't want to have to go through a beautifully restored rig and find many minute issues/problems that need remedying.
I just want to get in a drive 300 miles a day (Idaho to Prudhoe Bay, AK for example).
The only thing I want to be concerned with is what a new or near-new vehicle owner would be concerned with: oil changes/fluid levels etc.

If we were in pre-2019; I'd just order a new rig and be done with it.
But we're not.

I'd be willing to pay a new vehicle price for a mint/original-condition '72 K20 Suburban.
But it would have to be new-vehicle trouble-free condition because I'm going to use/drive it like it was a '24 vehicle.
It's not going to be a Saturday car-meet rig; it's going to be used.

1972 CST Blazer <---sold
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote