View Single Post
Old 08-15-2023, 11:26 AM   #106
JohnIL

Backup Lights & Camera

I've been on the road, away from the garage for a couple of weeks. But, before I left town, I had a weekend tackle a couple of fun (and functional) projects.

Backup Lights & Camera
This project is both fun and functional. The truck left the factory as a base model, with almost no options. The original owner didn't bother to pay for frills, like backup lights. So, I ordered a set of repo backup lights from LMC. The installation wasn't too difficult. By far the hardest part was working up the courage to drill the giant holes in the factory quarter panels. The wiring was tedious, but not difficult. I added a new circuit to the auxiliary fuse block I installed earlier this summer. The Saginaw 4-speed transmission had a faulty backup switch. After replacing the switch, the backup lights came to life. The new lights are a welcome safety improvement and they look pretty sharp too.

While I was wiring up the new backup lights, I took the opportunity to add a modern convenience, a backup camera. Last fall, I installed a touchscreen stereo with a camera provision, so that part was already done. To simplify the installation, I chose a camera that mounts to the license plate mounting screws. It was just a matter of running the camera's input cable into the cab to the stereo. Then, I tied the camera's trigger wire into the new backup light circuit. Now, when I shift the ancient clunky Saginaw into reverse, the camera wakes up and displays on the stereo screen, just like our modern daily drivers. This is another giant leap forward in terms of safety. The mirrors on these trucks are pretty pitiful, compared to modern vehicles. The additional visibility the camera provides is a huge improvement. Now, between the camera and the mirrors, I can see both the rear corners and directly behind the truck.

What's Next?
I'm getting the truck ready to attend the LMC Southern Illinois Truck Showdown on Sept 2 and I have a few small projects I'd like to complete before we go.
  • New Water Pump - I have no idea how old the existing pump is. A new one is cheap insurance.
  • Engine Bay Cleanup - I already started this when I replaced the exhaust system and rerouted the plug wires. There's a long way to go. I want to install new chrome valve covers and air cleaner to replace the old rusty ones. I want to clean up the vacuum hoses. I want to relocated the cooling overflow tank. And, everything needs a good cleaning. The engine bay is no where close to perfect, but there's no reason it can't be gussied up a little bit more.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote