View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #115
JohnIL

Spring has finally arrived!

The Expanded-Use Antique license plates on the C10 "wake up" on March 1. So, over the weekend, I roused the truck from winter hibernation. I connected the battery, pumped the gas three times, hit the key, and the old small block jumped back to life. It was definitely good to hear. I warmed up the engine, took a quick spin around the block, and pulled back in the driveway.

There's still salt on the roads, so that's about it, until we get some spring rains to wash away a winter's worth of sodium chloride. There's rain in the forecast this week. So, soon...

I have a mountain of parts for the truck, but I don't know how much I'll have time for this spring and summer. Over the winter, I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Once that started to heal up, I dug into a kitchen remodel that I promised my wife over 20 years ago (Better late than never?). I hope to have that wrapped up before the Easter family gathering. Then, it's C10 time, right? Not so fast.

This is my son's last summer at home before he goes off to school and we have a lot of work that needs to be done to his car before it's ready to travel (and sit in a parking lot for nine months). We need to focus on finishing the bodywork on his 1983 El Camino and getting it all one color, even if that color is primer gray. We also need to install the snazzy new cruise control unit he got for Christmas.

Just because you can't have too many trucks sitting in the driveway, I picked up a GMC OBS utility truck a couple of months ago. It needs some mechanical work, so it can start earning it's keep. I don't think I'll bother posting much about the OBS on the forum, but you never know.

And, because that's still not enough trucks sitting in the driveway, my son (yes, the same son) is working on buying a square body Chevy. He says he wants a pickup to drive to school so he can keep the El Camino safe at home. He's paying for the pickup with his summer job earnings and he wants to try to fix this one up himself (with a little bit of help from Dad, of course). It's hard to argue with a teenager who is actually taking personal responsibility for his own ride. Assuming he gets a truck purchased, this one will definitely end up with a build thread on the forum. And, if a square body does materialize this spring, it will very likely jump in line ahead of the El Camino.

With all of that said, here's what I have stockpiled for the '65 C10:
  • Power Brake kit
  • Front Disk Brakes
  • Front suspension bushings, tie rods, etc.
  • Power Steering kit
  • New Steering column
  • LED Headlights
  • Hidden tailgate latches and support cables

That's a lot of work and there's no way it's all getting done this summer. There are too many other competing priorities. For now, I'm going to install the Holley RetroBright LED headlights and the tailgate hardware. That may be it for this year, but these minor improvements will add a lot of safety, functionality, and convenience. I'll do short write-ups when I do these installs. The more time consuming work may have to wait until the boy is off to college.

Anyway, I'm glad that spring has arrived. It's finally classic truck season again!

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote