View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

Re: Old outboard motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
The float is probably made from that nitrophyl stuff.
Is it something like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15500538290...7a3eb8794bbeb8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17533551962...Cclp%3A2047675
The kit I ordered is for a newer 5 hp Johnson & Evinrude. The float is different but maybe I can make it work. As I said, it looks to be hard black plastic so maybe it holds up to gas better. For less than $10, it's worth a try.
What got me to this point is Dad parked this engine after he retired and bought a new 15 hp Johnson w/electric start. I can see why now that I am THAT age. Anyway the 5 hp sat unused for 25 years or so. After he passed, I became the owner of the Sea King 5 and I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago to use again. It had always been real easy to start but now was difficult. It had a fuel starvation issue. Only running on choke. Well yesterday I pulled the covers off and right away I found a split fuel hose from the carb to the pump. OMG, that thing is 63 years old and just split all over. So I replaced it then fired it up. It ran good again but was dripping a lot of gas out of the throat of the carb, so I pulled it off to give it a good cleaning out and found the float very much deteriorated. They don't live forever.
Dad always ran all the gas out of it when leaving the lake and always stored this motor standing up so it was always stored dry in our storage room. Doing so, this motor was just a 3 pull start, even after sitting over the winter months. Each spring all we did was full choke, pull, half choke, pull, then choke off and pull. Boom, it was running. It was just that easy. We didn't use it but a few times each year and it was always dependable. I have a newer Mercury motor (1981 I think) also but it's not as sweet as the much older Sea King. I'll pull the Merc out next and see if it's still ready to go.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote