View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #21
Boog
laying low

Re: Old outboard motors

I like vintage outboard motors. Back in my early youth some of our area lakes rented 16' Jon boats (aluminum flat bottom ) for $1 per day. They seated 4 people. My Dad used to fish in one with 1 1/2 hp motor. It was slow but it beat paddling. They went all over the lake with it. That was late 40's to mid 50's. It was in 1959 that Dad stepped up and bought the new 5 hp Sea King. By the 70's guys began to own boats of their own so the lakes discontinued renting boats. About that time I bought my first boat and built my own trailer and I have owned my own ever since. Dad bought a new boat, trailer and 15 hp Johnson w/electric start after he retired and of course a truck to pull it. He bought a new Ford pkup in 1955 and traded it away a couple years later. He didn't own another pkup until he retired and bought the 1991 Chevy I have now.
Back to my original posting about my Sea King motor.
I bought a carb rebuild kit w/float for a mid 80's Johnson/Evinrude 5 hp motor off ebay for about $10 just going by the pic only. I just got it in and that float is black plastic as it appeared and it is almost identical in size as my original one and I do believe it will work in my 1959 carb. I'm stoked about it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote