Thread: Suburban steps
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 11:33 PM   #9
Richard

Re: Suburban steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
I have yet to find any manufacturers for steps on any 67-72, at least those not attached to sheet metal floor or worse, rocker panel, which was would never do. I always wanted to build off the frame, but then 20" of canterlevering steel would have to be pretty beefy, 3/8 minimum
Wondering why you feel attaching to the rocker panel is bad? Structurally one of the strongest parts of the cab. All the newer trucks attach the factory steps in that way. Infact the Amp steps for these later trucks just use factory mounting points on the inner rocker. Work at a body shop and I have replaced several rockers on newer trucks as well as seeing the inside of the ones on my 72 while I was doing repair on them. Nothing more inside the newer rockers than on my 72. Modified Amp steps for my 94 as none were specifically made for it. Attached to rockers, used for over 5 years now and no signs of deterioration.

Wanted to add that even the fixed drop Hickey steps from the 67-72 era also attached to the inner rocker. Do not see a problem myself.

Last edited by Richard; 04-10-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote