View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 02:52 AM   #4
coldrider

Re: Need more traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B View Post
My thought is tooo much low end torque for a truck that has no weight in the rear. I know a larger diameter exhaust helps reduce low end torque some. Taller tires, lower gears such as 3.08's and/or different stall converter.
DB - I agree a taller tire would help which is why I was considering the 305/45 but this one apparently doesn't have near the demand. Been looking a little more and it seems like its out of stock (ie special order?) for a few months at the likes of Jegs/Summit. And I want to at least try a stickier tire before making big changes to gears or the converter, so the 305/35s are looking more and more likely as they're in stock just about everywhere I look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulblsc View Post
More sidwall does help. Some racing groups limit width on 15" rims but allow wider with 17"+. (Drag radials specifically)

Is this a trailing arm truck?
Lite - I hear ya on sidewall, but that's the tradeoff.. the look I want vs the performance I want and when I got the wheels, the crate 350 I had was pretty anemic and didn't need any help from the sidewall. I didn't know about the diameter to width ratio you're describing, thanks for sharing.

And yes, I'm on trailing arms.

---

I will say that I was little surprised that even though both are 305s, the tread width difference between tires was more than I was expecting. I suppose this is where some folks could debate contact patch area and whether a taller but slightly narrower tire is worse or better off than a shorter but slightly wider tire. I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other, only that I dont really feel like waiting weeks or months, so the short/wides are probably going to get my $.
Attached Images

coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote