View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 03:21 AM   #1361
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad it weng well. Looking forwRd to see what you do with it and see more pics

Thank you as always Bill, loads to be done.

It is 33 years old after all.

So I saw the van advertised a while ago on the tightly run ship that is “Unusual cars for sale”

I have always been kinda into Commercial vehicles, trucks, vans, anything practical.

And this was the ad.

But of course I already had the Rumblegrizzkin Chevy S10 in ZQ8 spec with its 4.3l V6 auto and extra cab.

This is an amazing car/truck.

Small, for an American, and actually has 4 seats, the front buckets are also a bench, when you lift the armrest, and the midget seat in the rear folds down for a skinny 10 year old.

But as much as the truck is a great thing, at times my butt itches for a change, and weirdly, with work insecurities etc, the best fix is to buy more cars. IYKWIM

So I got my head around to deciding to reduce the fleet significantly, including the Rezin Rockit should I get approached randomly (which has happened)

The van is well known in certain circles and everyone wanted it, but nobody bought it.

So I did my research and found out what I could, based on a few photos, and later a short start up video.

I also approached a complete random stranger on GarageJournal.com whose avatar showed he lives in S****horpe (10 miles from the van) and after a long, enjoyable conversation with Vaughan, who turns out to be 70, just recovering from cancer surgery, and still rides a KTM 990, he agreed to go take a look at the van, and go for a short drive in it.

This all happened last Sunday, and when he called me later in the day, there were no punches pulled, and his feedback was that is was a 33 year old van, and it had the bones of a good car. It needed a few bits tidied up ( I like to polish turds) and that if faced with the dilemma of buying or not, at the stated price, he would buy it.

So I called the seller ( who was going to buy the truck off me, but ended up buying a 1972 Toyota Crown wagon on Saturday) and asked if there was any movement on price, which there was not.

So I asked if I could still have a go at squeezing his bits, and he asked what I wanted, which I said was taking delivery of the van with a full tank of fuel.

Monday was spent insuring, getting recovery sorted and generally trying to fit the day job into my schedule.

By 3.00pm I had Green Flag recovery switched from the S10 for a total increase of premium of £2.48

Here is a video of my total motivation, and information on the van before buying it.

https://youtu.be/ewf60bR00k8

I will add a few more pics and observations of the van later for those morbidly interested.

In the mean time, having been an underused, 78k mile van, the battery gave me a load of solenoid clicks after I got back home last night.

I went to Sallys place for dinner and to show her the van, which of course needed a jump start.

So a battery is first on the list of items.

I see that as a longer term wear and tear item if a car is not used much.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote