View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 09:38 AM   #1362
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

So on having bought the van and setting off with it, a few random observations of the first hour, well, 5 hours really.

When Colin picked me up as S****horpe station, he just came rolling in, and there was other nois in the background that the camera on the phone picked up on.

https://youtu.be/WYSLvCNGBO4

But the van was shorter, and stockier than I had expected. ✅

The rumble from the twin side exits - OOOOOFFF ! ✅

Having been built and professionally lowered by THE DROP SHOP in Mission, Texas, the road holding, and drive is amazing for a van, being short and low, it can be thrown into roundabouts with gusto, and never wallowed like a typical American car or truck. The further I drove, the more confident I became and far from pushing it, I was assessing it all the way, and it gets a big ✅

Colin filled the tank as part of the deal, and I doubt he zeroed the trip meter, or filled it to the neck, but even in the most unscientific way possible, it used less than an indicated 1/2 tank on the 200 mile trip home, a mix of motorways and A-Roads, so another apparent ✅

Radio/CD/USB/Starship control desk has been cut in by an angry badger, so I need a new/used original dash filler panel to get back to standard as I could not figure the radio out, YET. So a certain ❌

Driving position in what is believed to be Corvette seats is good, but maybe 150mm or 6” too close for me. I will address that soon. ❌

Cubby hole fitted to the “Dog House” engine cover has someone’s old art airbrushed on it, replace or repaint ❌

Door speakers of unknown origin, vintage, ability, and missing a screen one side needs replacing ❌

Comes with a removable tow hitch, in my world that gets ✅✅✅

Load body has remnants of amplifiers etc cut into it, if they work, reinstate and use, if not, remove and cover holes ✅❌

Getting home was a pleasure, simply because it was an unknown quantity to grab and drive 200 miles ✅

Going down the side of the house down my narrow alley necessitated folding a mirror in, it is that wide @ 77” and driving out, I just folded both in, wound the window down and kept my eye on keeping the drivers side 6 inches or 150mm from the concrete posts of the fence, naturally, the other side would be good enough. So size gets one of each too as I would have it despite the size. ✅❌

Due to overall limited use, the battery made it home, then left me in the lurch a few times in quick succession at home, new battery getting collected later today £60.00 Certainly not a seller problem, but a cost ❌

Service records, despite low mileage non existent so no base to work from doing standard maintenance, so need to get a full fluid, filters and ignition service,,again, part of ownership, so neither good nor bad, but possibly bad due to previous ownership ❌✅

Overall impression, looks, first drive gets ✅✅✅✅✅ of these and ❌of these.

Time will tell what else needs doing.

THE DROP SHOP lowered it in the 90’s

They are also on FB and if you look at their builds, there’s some neat stuff.

Approximate collection miles.

I had done 10-20 miles already.

Tow hitch is a massive win in my world of practicality.

Driving position in what is believed to be Corvette seats is good, but maybe 150mm or 6” too close for me. I will address that soon.

After collecting me, the last pic of it in S****horpe with Colin driving.

When I got home I took some photos.

I will do the interior at the weekend with before and after etc.

Against the S10 it shows a bit of comparative size, keeping in mind the S10 is a mini truck.

And on its own.

Chunky tyres on 15” wheels fill the arches nicely.

Bringing it out, shows a tight fit.

@forddan68 came around and took these pics for me,

A very happy man I guess.

Already liking it.

Thanks for stopping by and all your comments, advice and input as always.

Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote