View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #285
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The factory headliners had four panels in them. I didn't have enough bows for four panels and I had read that other folks had done with three so that was my plan too. It was pretty much the same steps as the first one I did. The panels get narrower as you go forward. I made sure the back edge was the exact same measurement as the front edge of the previous panel. And then I measured the next bow for the width of the front edge. It seemed straight forward but the joint between the two panels was not square. As there is really nothing to measure from so I had no reference from the get go. Fortunately I had given myself an extra 1/2" in length on my original cut out. So I scribed the panel to the bow and cut it. Then as the front bow was so much shorter it took several more tries to get it cut to size. I believe that GM's choice of making it four panels had to do with installation costs and not design concept. Of the three panels I made the center one was by far the most difficult. It was difficult to get up into place and to remove after marking the next trim. I was able to slide the FRP in and out from under the plastic support trim. But I was very worried about damaging it. Which I did at one point when a 2" sliver snapped off of the front edge of the support trim.
Until I had trimmed the panel to the correct width there was no way for me to put a panel in place by myself. It was a two man job to get it into place then both of us would have to slap the panel to get it to slide back into position and the same to remove it.
Just a heads up if you have a choice of how many panels to install. Do four. If I were to do another one I would do four equal sized panels. After I was satisfied with the fit of the center panel I did not install the plastic support trim piece. As that would have prevented me from being able to install the front piece. It will need to slide forward into the channel across the front and to do that it will have to overlap the bow to start. I taped the back side of the panel (Photo 3) to the bow to hold it in place while I fitted up the front piece.
After I had finished the headliner I realized the factory probably started with the front piece and worked their way too the back . I did it backwards as I hoped my mistakes would be out of sight in the back and I would have a much better idea as to what I was doing by the time I was up front. Which was the case. Starting up front means you can snap the plastic trim in place as you go and not have to do it after the next panel is in place.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote