View Single Post
Old 12-21-2023, 03:50 PM   #68
dsraven

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

If it were mine, I would
get the cam gear off in place . Crank gear to just to make it easier to get a new cam gear back on in place
Get that front plate off
See if there is gonna be room for some new bolt holes or see how cracked the front main is. If the front main is gonna live as it is then decide how you can get a couple of bolts through it and then drill and get them tapped. I cant stress enough that you need a tap drill of the correct size and also a starter tap to begin with and then finish with a bottoming tap. Otherwise the same cracked cast could happen. Also use a cutting fluid like rapid tap. Remember that cast doesnt flex like steel will so do 1/4 turn at a time when tapping, back up a 1/8 turn the go ahead that 1/8 plus another 1/4 turn.
Is there room on the front side for a nut? You may be better off with a stud in the main cap and a nut on the front side. Blue loctite so it is removable.
In

Clean the area and the line channel. Clean all the parts and fix any dishes bolt holes etc
Install a new felpro plate gasket
Install new cam gear
Assemble as usual for the rest
That's just me, you gotta do what you gotta do
Dont get too wired up about it, it's just something that happened and you can still make it better again.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote