View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Small update. Been trying to figure out how to make a set of low-buck 18" smoothies. I put a want ad on craigslist for a set of '08 up Nissan Titan steel wheels and got a call a few weeks later. The plan is to cut the centers out and reverse the rims to change the offset, get a set of moon disc and cut them down to cover just the wheel centers (to get the smoothie look), and make clips to mount the original hubcaps on top of the moon disc. Its a plan atleast, I'll have to get the truck back together and on its wheels with the suspension work done to see if the offset from the reversed rims will fit.

Can't beat $75 buck 18's!

Threw one under the bed for kicks and grins. Tire is way too big and the center will be flipped around but you get the idea...

Also bought a C notch kit and adjustable track bar from CPP. The C notches will get substantial bracing before they go on the truck; I'm not too comfortable with hacking away over half of the height of the frame rail without adding some extra bracing. Planning on adding a couple 1/4" steel "ribs" down the length of the cut out and also boxing the inside of the frame rails once the C notches are installed.

Not sure what "fragile" means to the guys at UPS...

Next steps are to get the brake and fuel lines installed and then set the bed back on the frame. I'm thinking of using a black stain and satin clear coat on the wood for the bed to semi-replicate the black painted wood on a factory built truck. The stain and satin clear would show the grain of the wood better.

Last edited by theastronaut; 12-07-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Fix dead pic links
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote