View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #96
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I have been putting in time as I can. I was not satisfied with the Gray paint comparison, so I sprayed the Grays on part of a rear door. I found that the #1 on my list Krylon Fusion Matte Deep Gray 2914 is a good match. I took a picture of it, but it appears off in the picture. The paint an the rear door is in natural light. I found that the new paint looks different under different light sources, and it also photographs different in different light sources. The Deep Gray looks like a perfect match to the original paint, but both paints look different when photographed. I may be better off not touching up, and just paint everything. My plan is to paint the Gray around the bed before installing the wood, now I’m satisfied with the paint selection. I have painted the rest of the bed rub rails and have been figuring out what bolts are needed. The cross sills were replaced with 1x2 so the bolt lengths will be different. I got the bolts for the perimeter and have painted the heads Gray(pictured). I wanted black bolts for the rails, and decided grade 5 black oxide bolts is the way to go. I could only find black painted grade A carriage bolts locally, so I ordered some from McMaster-Carr. It may be overkill, but I think it will work good. I had ordered an exhaust tailpipe from a parts store. The ’88 GMC had the y-pipe go to 3”, catalytic convertor was 3” in/out, a length of 3” to the muffler 3” in/out, and a 3” elbow exit in front of the rear tire. Some trucks from this era had a muffler with 3” in and 2) 2 Ό” out with the two pipes crossing and both exiting rear of the right rear wheel. The description of the tailpipe is 2 Ό” with 3” inlet, or something like that. When I went to pick up the tailpipe it had no 3” inlet, and it had some funny bends since the pipes cross over each other. I declined to take it. Later, I identified a 3” tailpipe , and even later I found another 3” tailpipe with mandrel bends. I finally went to order the pipe with mandrel bends, and it was no longer available. I asked about the other one and it was available at $60, but shipping from back east for another $60. The clerk then suggested one they could get locally for $20. I asked if it was 3” and was assured it was. Went to get it the next day to find it at 2 Ό”, but the bends were correct and it had the bracket in the right place. Finding an adaptor for 3” to 2 Ό” was equally amusing. I ended up downloading a Nickson catalog to get the part number, listed as a new part. I went to the Flaps where they did not find it listed. With the part number they were able to find it and I had it the next day. The shop had cut the exhaust system up, so I cut pieces off the ends of the cat, and was able to get the system together. Yesterday I spent an hour and drilled 2 holes for mounts. When I have time I will hit it with the GMaw. I thought about the ease of just clamping everything, but it feels kind of loose in places, and where’s the fun in that. I need to put in more time welding.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote