View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #117
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials - Section E Disable the Fuel Level Sensor Codes

HP Tuners Section E Disable the Fuel Level Sensor Codes

Not another one of these, this is so boring I just want to make 600 hp on the dyno, ha ha.

I hope that if you find these articles boring by now, you take that as a good sign and this is becoming second nature to you. We learn through repetition, and I purposely did not bundle disabling all the codes into one article so that future Swappers can find a specific article easier, plus can you imagine me rambling on about disabling a dozen or so different sensor codes in one article??? these articles are too wordy as it is, lol

In prior posts I talk about the two schools of thought on how to go about disabling codes. Just like in the last article, we watch the PCM throw a code (this time because we did not use the OEM fuel tank) and then we go after it. I should have used HP Tuners as my Code Reader this being an HP Tuners tutorial and all, but I wasn't thinking about doing the tutorial at that time so I caught the P0463 code using my Insight Edge CTS2 digital display (pronounced: "expensive"), but any OBDII code reader will find the same codes if you don't own HP Tuners and are just following along for understandability.

On my 2001 Siera donor PCM there were six Fuel Level Sensor codes, your PCM may be a little bit different:
P0461 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0462 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low

P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High

P1431 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

P1432 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Low Voltage

P1433 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage
[Rant] Not sure if GM did that and HP Tuners is just pulling the descriptions, or if HP Tuners dropped the ball, but my OCD is trippin' on the fact that they went from Sensor A to Sensor 2, which should have been either Sensor A and Sensor B or Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 type of thing, ha ha, and the inconsistency in the descriptions, where are my meds? [/Rant]

Now let's look at the Black Magic that it takes to disable these codes, we have two controls:
  • SES Enable
  • Error Mode
If it was up to me I would break it up into a third control so it would look more like this:
  • SES (Enable / Disable)
  • MIL (MIL On First Error, MIL on Second Error, No MIL Light)
  • Report Code (On / Off)
1. Again we start in the comfort of our own home, we fire up our laptop and launch the Editor. Open the file we saved in Step 3 of Part V. (Our last saved file is always our starting point).

2. Make changes in the Editor, this time we will make changes only to the Fuel Level Sensor codes under Engine Diag \ DTCs. Refer to the cheat sheet below and Disable the SES on these and set the MIL to No Error Reported, some may be disabled already by default:
P0461

P0462

P0463

P1431

P1432

P1433
3. Save the changes you made to a new file and call it something like "10 - Disabled Fuel Level Codes"

4. Now you get to move the operation to your truck, hook up your HP Tuner to the OBDII port and then your USB cable to your laptop, turn the key to the ON position, launch the Editor program, and simply write the new changes to the PCM.

Note: sometimes you have to write the entire tune file to the PCM, sometimes it is perfectly happy with only writing what's changed, more on this later.

More words with each pic:

Last edited by Gregski; 11-08-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote