View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
danw210
69 K20

Re: Dana 44 closed knuckle disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sIron View Post
Dan210 how's the project coming? Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of selling my 69 k20. There's a lot of reasons to let her go but #1 was it stopped like sh**. I've had her for over 15 years. Rebuilt the brakes more than I care to count. Everyone says just swap axles, they don't know the open knuckle disc brake axle is 3" wider. I can't stand that look. Thanks to your post I may keep my cool Suburban. Just thought you should know your detective work is appreciated! How cool to step on the brakes and know what's going to happen! There's a post where a guy goes from your conversion back to drums..... Go figure!
Thanks for the kind words. I agree, everyone says just swap axles but I don't regret going this route (at least not yet). I can't see why someone would go back to drums unless they were restoring back to original. The disc brakes outperform the drums by just a little, lol.
The project has been put on hold for now. I moved this summer from northern Illinois to Kentucky and the truck has just been sitting. I hope to get back to it by spring of 2014.
danw210 is offline   Reply With Quote