The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 07:03 PM   #8
1slo64

Re: 1000+ HP, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Does anyone else besides me remember years ago in late 1969 - early 1970 the uproar from both the Gubment and nation wide insurance companies about the on-going "horse power wars" during the muscle car days? They all were screaming that factory offerings of 375, 400, 425, 450 horse power cars was just too much for the average driver to safely handle and control. Thus started the de-tuning of cars which included moving to unleaded gasoline, lower compression, smog pumps, etc.

Now here we are 50 years later and factory cars with 800 - 1,000 horse power no longer seems to be a problem for Mr. & Mrs "average driver" WTH changed!! I know drivers haven't gotten better thru the years. I see that everyday in traffic, cutting in front of moving traffic across three lanes to make a turn at the next exit. Leaving no reaction time/distance between vehicles on the road. Road rage, bumper to bumper commonplace on highways at speed. Speed limits are ignored, maybe they are just a suggestion anymore.
Technology, so many computers and programs control what can be put to the ground. You no longer have to be a good driver to control these modern vehicles.
1slo64 is online now   Reply With Quote