The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 02:02 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

What's it worth (in Los Angeles) 1969 GMC 8 1/2'

Time to let it go. I have a very long history of selling vehicles at ridiculously low amounts and I don't want to repeat, so kindly help me out here.
Truck is in San Fernando Valley of L.A. so the economy here is way inflated if that matters.
Second owner, virtually no rust having been in L.A. it's whole life. Crate 350 from GM performance with 3K miles, new clutch (2K), brakes gone through with new cylinders, front drums etc.recently.
Specs; 8 1/2' bed (same as Chevy "Longhorn"), 350ci with close ratio New Process 435 4-spd., Dana 3.73 open rear, PS,PB, dealer AC (non-op and missing parts), Fac Tach dash (tach not hooked up since HEI conversion), Dual speed WS washer with spray,3 fuel tanks (2 currently hooked up but a third is available).
Condition; has surface rust in places, needs high-beam buckets and bulbs reassembled, needs inner right fender, has a gash in the right rear wheel well probably requiring patch panel (?). All lights good, all glass good except small crack in windshield.Runs great with very nice oil pressure (new engine). Need bed wood kit (currently has plywood). Needs some trim replaced (I have all, or most, some new). Current registration. Owned since 1997.Front end has been well greased and very tight and new ball joints added 10K ago.
What do you guys think? Thanks, Brian

Edit; first picture is 5 years old.

Edit2; Comes with extra tailgate in near perfect condition, 2 extra Q-jet carbs, extra hood hinges and many other parts and supplies, books, owner's manual Etc.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; Today at 02:11 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #2
MikeB

Re: What's it worth (in Los Angeles) 1969 GMC 8 1/2'

I may be way off, but I'll take a guess. Since it's pretty rough, ask $7,500K, take $5,000? But don't say "or best offer" in the ads. That would invite low-ball offers right from the start.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Don't talk or worry about what it "needs". It doesn't need bed wood, plywood is fine; It doesn't need the gashes fixed, it just needs somebody to love it. If you're not in a great hurry, put a price on it and stay firm. There will come a buyer that is glad to have it. I think it's a cool truck. If you want to get rid of it sooner rather than later then MikeB has sound advice.

The extra items will not increase the price you get for it or make it sell faster, so I suggest don't throw in anything at all except the gas that happens to be in the tank. Sell here on the forum the Quadrajets, tailgate, trim, hinges, books, supplies, etc. and even remove and sell the extra tank that isn't hooked up. Hook up the tach or remove the instrument cluster and trade it with somebody for a non-tach instrument cluster and $50. $9000 firm for the first 6 months, then $8000 for another 6 months if necessary.

Getting the A/C actually going, and putting a radio delete plate over that hole may make it more attractive and sell faster IMO.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 PM   #4
MikeB

I always hate to say the price is firm. I think it limits the number of people who will call. Everyone expects a discount on a used vehicle, and haggling is part of the process.

I sold a 55 sedan many years ago for $20K which was $2K more than the $18K I wanted. That was thanks to a savvy friend who told me to ask $22K and then negotiate down from there. I thought $22K was way too high, but the plan worked! Turns out used car dealers do the same thing -- sky high asking price so they can give the buyer a "discount".
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote