The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 02:41 AM   #1
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Day one of owning a 19 year old car.

Because I do copy and paste for the text on the various forums where I contribute, and the last 48 hours have been disjointed, I will start with this from the beginning.

I saw this 2005 Renault Megan Scenic AKA Renault Scenic advertisement in the “other cars and bikes for sale” section on UKGSER
Always liked them for many reasons. Including practical, slightly quirky and looks on this model.

ADVERTISEMENT

My 89 year old mother’s car (she took the pictures!)
She’s had it 17 year, it’s just about to turn 61,000 miles, full service history, still drives really well, feels tight.
Big scratch along the near side where she didn’t quite squeeze through a gap with a skip lorry, inside door handles and dashboard are sticky, it’s a bit scruffy here and there. But well worth £700, car is in Southampton and can be viewed pretty much anytime.

Initially I just looked and smiled BECAUSE I do love a cheap basement priced car but I really don’t need one. Right?

Then someone commented about wishing it were in Manchester, which made me reply to try sell it.

My reply posted at 16.09

I just checked…….. At 16.10 seriously, I sent a private message to Danny the advertiser asking if I could call him.

My reply to this: Doh, why can't it be in Manchester....!

Take a train, taxi, grab a lift, hitch hike.

Fetch it

Drive it home.

None of my last three cars were closer than 100 miles.

All driven home.

Two via train to collect and 206CC my mate gave me a ride in exchange for a liter of Jamesons best.

Make it an adventure.

This hijack was me fetching the Astro van 200 miles away.

https://youtu.be/5-mHFYu0USM?si=MpMA-xZSrMGJ3PTx​

So the seller replied and gave me his number a while later.

I called him, we spoke for 14 minutes, then he called his 89 year old mom to confirm something about the car. Following that we spoke for another 27 minutes.

He sent me his banking details by 21.08 and I transferred the cash by 21.13
Job done.

Figuring out collection was not yet a thing…… that was reserved for 03.50 when I woke up.
Danny was available Thursday, Friday or Monday.

So I did a quick ask around in case someone was headed down to Southampton 130 miles from me…….
No luck.

So I asked Mickey next door for a lift to the station 7 miles away. £10.00 for two pints of beer paid for the ride.

I also texted Danny to check if he could collect me at a station which he agreed to do. In a brown Mercedes Benz. Bonus.

Train ticket was £52.00 one way.

Trip was amazingly fast. Never waited more than 5 minutes for the next train.

Got to Southampton, collected by @diplomaticdanny and whisked off to his mums home. Car as described. Did paperwork, wrestled the keys from his mums hands after 17 years of ownership and set off homeward.

Three hours and 130 miles later, I pulled up on my drive.

Happy.

Really happy.

Mickey popped around to give it his wholehearted approval.

I did not tell Sally, but she saw it when driving by to take Bonnie to the vets for vaccines.

That concludes the finding, buying, collecting of the Scenic.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote