The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:30 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDubya View Post
Now I have some questions. What is your reason for the change? Is it now similar to the gearing the motors had in their original vehicle? What effect will this have on range? Is there an optimal motor RPM?

You do a great job of explaining things on this build so I can't wait to learn about this part too.
I think our brains are literally BluToofed, ha ha, you ask all the right questions

yes this was to match the gearing of the 2018 Lexus GS450h, I crunched those numbers a while back (so please don't make me do it again, I'll try to find the link to that post on the EV forum) and it seems like 4.11 with my tire combo will match that car

but also I always wanted to try 4.11s even when the vehicle was a gasser, and I think these motors inside of this Lexus transmission can spin up north of 15,000 RPM so they won't even bat an eye on this

I talked to Mike the tech in the shop who did the rear end upgrade and he looked at my drive shaft and said it would handle the 5.38 aftermarket gear set if I wanted to go that low in the gear ratio (forgive me I get so confused with the high numbers vs low gear ratios that I couldn't tell you what's low gear or high gear, etc, ha ha still learning that stuff)

""Tall" gears and "short" gears are referring to the gear ratios.

Tall (high) gears have LOWER numerical numbers such as 2.79, 2.90, 3.00, 3.25.

Short (low) gears have HIGHER numerical numbers, such as 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.36, etc.

In simple terms, the numbers mean how many turns of the drive shaft to one turn of the rear wheel."

not sure how this will effect range, but it will effect Top Speed, something I ought to should test

every year I forget what tire size I am running so I will post it here 215/65 R17 and here's what my buddy did for us to show the RPM difference assuming I had a 27" tire but that's ok
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; Today at 10:02 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote