The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 06:25 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I had a Holley Red electric fuel pump on White Fang. That led to its downfall, when a backfire caught the oiled K&N air filter on fire, and I forgot to switch off the fuel pump switch. [I assumed, since I wasn't Racing, I didn't need the Oil Pressure Cut-Off Switch.]
Anyway I salvaged the Red pump and used it for syphoning gas out of jerrycans and into my trucks' fuel tanks.
When the Red pump jammed, I took the top electric section apart and lost one of the commutator brush springs. Holley's repair kit only included a fresh bottom gasket, and brass mesh screens. When I asked Holley about parts for the top they wouldn't supply any, saying I'd voided the warranty -- taking it apart. My local Hot Rod Shop didn't have any top section parts either, but they sold me a Holley Blue pump [faster rate] so I could cannibalize the springs. It was an FD return that leaked. I didn't mess with the top section, but changed the bottom gasket, and it leaked less. Good enough for its Fuel Transfer role.
When I bought the '67 K/10 Sub, the PO had rigged a low cost electric fuel pump to the 454. That burned out late one dark night in the parking lot at the theater I worked at. I slid under the rig and discovered the stock mechanical fuel pump was still in place, just bypassed. So I rerouted the fuel lines to work thru the machanical pump and got home, finally. But a year later, I had trouble starting, and not feeding the hungry BBC on the freeway. So I was talked into installing the Holley Red pump. And we know the rest.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote