The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
49/50 K5

Smile New member in Hawaii - 1970 K5 CST

Hey everyone,

About 8 months ago now we picked up a 1970 K5 CST from someone who had it nearby our town. My old man always wanted one of these era blazers and so when I came across it for sale we went and checked it out. It has a 350 and a 4 speed that are original to the truck, and the PO said the motor had been rebuilt at some point before he got it. He said he bought the truck from a guy in the military who owned it since new. It was originally a California truck so the rust was pretty minimal compared to if it were an island truck its whole life. Specifically came from Oceanside in socal and the PO shipped it out and owned it for 5-6 years before we bought it. Unfortunately he had it rhinolined which wouldn't be bad for a beater beach truck, but a decent K5 did not deserve that look. Since we've had it we peeled off the rhinolining real quick. Then we rewired the whole front end and interior then converted it to EFI with the Holley Sniper 2, and replaced the entire fuel system. We removed the original non op AC system and replaced with vintage air. New radiator with electric fans, new front runner accessory belt system, new PS pump, box, TREs, shaft, and column. Went to smaller springs in front to fix the ride height and remove the steering knuckle adapter, new brakes in the front and shocks all around. Recently R&R rockers and boxes as well as some of the floor in the front, one box was stuffed full of sticks and leaves and who knows what, and there was a squirrel skeleton inside. Cant imagine how long it was in there for, but willing to be well over 20 years since Hawaii has no squirrels. Currently doing bodywork and paint ourselves and going back to the factory med blue poly color 508 and white top.

We have a bit of experience in desert racing and have spent some time in Baja. Over the years we've worked on many of our vehicles - did a 6.0 LS/4l75e swap in my 2004 RCSB silverado LS and refreshed the suspension. We completely rebuilt my brother's 94 bronco EB, and I just swapped to mid travel desert suspension on my 94 bronco XLT in Alaska. My old man has built a handful of trucks over the years and it is awesome to always learn and to take on endeavors that would turn normal people away when it comes to DIY and working on the cars we own. I know that's a lot of ford stuff but we are hands down a GM family and are very excited to have this K5 in the fleet. My dream rig I'd like to own is a 67-72 4x4 suburban or panel to hit trails in and explore the states. There is a team (@christyracing) that races one in Baja in the NORRA series that is so sweet, they are definitely an inspiration.

Thanks for the time everyone, I have already learned a whole lot from the forum and look forward to sharing some pics and always learning more.
49/50 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:01 PM   #2
D.B

Re: New member in Hawaii - 1970 K5 CST

Welcome and sounds like you are starting off right. Looking forward to seeing some pics. We all like pics so post as many as you like.
D.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #3
Getter-Done

Welcome to the Greatest forum on the Net.

Great story you have.

You have a lot to share with this Group.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Florida! Love to see some pics of your K5
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote